Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Exhaustion

So I’ve been thinking about exhaustion. More specifically how exhausted I’m expecting to become during the event.

I made a painting for my sister a few years ago as a wedding gift. It was a 4’x5’ countryside scene from a photo Jill and I took on our honeymoon in Spain. It took me two weekends to finish the painting. Each day I pretty much worked for 16 hours non-stop. (See, I decided at the last minute to do the painting and was pretty much forced to finish it in two weekends.)

I think those 4 days were the most exhausting days in my life, including the days I’ve run marathons. After spending 16 hours standing in front of the canvas, creating, I was wiped out. In every sense. I was physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausted. It was a unique feeling.

I was physically exhausted from standing over the canvas for so long. I was mentally exhausted from the detailed and technical process of painting. I was emotionally exhausted from the feeling and care that I poured into the creation.

Anyway, not to wax philosophic, but I’m expecting the same sort of exhaustion from the 24 Hour Comic event. Actually, I’m expecting it to be much worse. I think the creation will be far more demanding and, of course, required to be finished in less time.

I was thinking that maybe the physical exhaustion won’t be too bad, as I’ll be sitting for the whole day. But as anyone who sits at a desk all day or has driven long road trips will surely attest to, even sitting in one spot, in one position, for 24 hours can be exhausting in its own right.

I’m definitely expecting complete mental and emotional exhaustion.

It’s going to be tough.

1 comment:

Jill Douglass said...

Hmm, I wonder if having company will help at all. Will you folks keep each other's spirits up. What's the rule if someone drifts off to sleep? Do you poke them?