Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Introduction

What is a 24 Hour Comic?

A 24 Hour Comic is a 24 page comic created in 24 continuous hours by a single person. All the details can be found here.

Why am I taking the time to write about a 24 Hour Comic?

Because I have committed to creating one on October 20th.

Here's the story.

Every year there is a worldwide event called 24 Hour Comics Day. I learned about it last year. Bascially, creators around the world gather at locally organized events and attempt to create a 24 Hour Comic. Danny and I went to the 24 Hour Comics Day event at Austin Books and Comics last year. It seemed like a lot of fun at the time. We went in the wee hours of the morning when all the artists were really wigging out.

Danny and I talked that night about how cool it would be to do our own 24 Hour Comic. We continued to talk about it now and then over the past year. When Austin Books and Comics sent an announcement last week about this year's event I emailed Danny and said "Let's do it!"

As it turns out, Danny has a golf tournament that day and cannot participate. He did say that he would keep me company for the final 12 hours if I went through with it.

The more I thought about it, the more I thought it would be fun to try. Over the past week I've been motivated during the day, thinking about the supplies I would need to gather. But each night as I lay in bed, I start thinking about how difficult the challenge will be. I keep coming back to the fact that I can't draw. Some people who know me might disagree with that statement. The thing is, I can draw reasonably well if I have something to look at and draw from, and if I have plenty of time to erase and redraw. But I'm no good at sitting down and just drawing things out of my head. And I'm horrible at drawing people.

I almost convinced myself last night to bail. Actually, I did convince myself to bail. But I woke up feeling newly motivated.

I think it will be a fun challenge and I think I should do it, even if I fail miserably.

On this blog I will document my 24 Hour Comic Challenge.

2 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

Feel the fear and do it anyway!

sdzurenko said...

I'm feelin' it!