Saturday, October 13, 2007

Trying not to plan ahead

It's really hard not to plan ahead. The idea of the 24 Hour Comic is not only to draw it in 24 hours, but to also come up with the story and write the story in 24 hours. That's really the hard part. Anyone who can draw can draw 24 pages in 24 hours. But to also come up with a half-way interesting story in that time... that's an all-together different challenge.

I find myself thinking about ideas throughout my days. I have to keep stopping myself.

I don't know yet exactly what my story will be, but I do have some general ideas.

Grant asked if I would make a comic for him. I told him yes, I would make a comic for him and Anna. So right there, that starts to narrow my options. It has to be a G or PG comic. (Which is probably fine since I don't draw naked women very well.) It also needs to be something which Anna and Grant will find interesting.

I've also had the thought that I'd like to involve dragons. I like dragons. Anna likes dragons. Grant likes dragons. Who doesn't like dragons!?

So there you have it. It's going to be somewhat oriented towards kids and it will have at least one dragon. Is that considered planning the story ahead? I don't think so. I don't have any of the basic story line.

I also find myself catching things throughout the day that I might be able to use in my story. Either Grant or Anna will say something and I'll suddenly think "Oh, I can use that."

I don't want to plan my story ahead of time. I want to face the challenge honestly. It's just that it's so prevalent on my mind that it's hard not to think of some ideas on some level.

1 comment:

Jill Douglass said...

Have you been sketching dragons in your spare time? Maybe you should just color the dragon...